Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Epidural

I got an epidural steroid shot in my back yesterday. The doctor did an amazing job. I was so impressed. I was in and out of the hospital in 30 minutes.

When I fell in the parking lot right after I gave birth to Rex in Jan 2006, I have struggled with back and hip/buttock pain ever since.

This experience of being in so much pain that I can't heal from has brought on spiritual maturity. Since I am physically immovable now, I have paid particular attention to the general Relief Society Presidents spiritual messages of being steadfast and immovable. I am grounding myself in the knowledge that God loves me, that it is my work to keep His commandments with zeal, and exercising faith in Jesus Christ as my Master.

On one particular day a few years back, I was quite down and was expressing my blue feelings to someone who I thought would give me comfort. Instead she said to me, 'Oh Sarah, just stop thinking about it (your hurt feelings) and go shopping.' Another time I was expressing my sorrow again to another person who I thought would lend me comfort only to be told, 'Sarah, you think too much. You just need to read a book. Have you read...?' What kind of a comfort is that? I hope when others come to me seeking comfort I don't say something so uncomforting as that! We have the Savior of the world to give us comfort. I hope I point others to Him and his healing words when I hear they need comfort.

I remember thinking to myself, 'What will shopping do to help me feel better? Or reading a book? It is only like alcohol, a drug of choice, for it heals nothing to shop or read to distract. It doesn't comfort or heal. It doesn't even give me hope that it will.' It is only through Jesus Christs power to heal that each of us will be healed.

No comments: