Friday, October 1, 2010

Homeschool, football and a fractured toe..

The last 2 months Eric and Joseph have been in football. They have been having a blast and so have we. I love the lessons they are learning being part of a team.

Last Friday night Joseph pushed a chair over onto the top of his foot. After trying to play in his football game the next morning, he came out of the game in too much pain. We got him into the doctor and the x-ray showed a fracture in his first metatarsel on his right big toe. He has been in a lot of pain. Thankfully, 2 weeks of rest will heal it up just fine.

Also, I decided to put the kids back into public school. I hate it. The boys go all day, but Vanessa goes to Middle School and goes to 4 classes: Math, Orchestra, Reading, and English. I like her schedule a lot better because she comes home every day at 11:30am. The boys go all day and get home at 3:40ish. It's just too long.

The thing I hate the most about public school is the loss of control of what the kids learn. For example, the public system teaches about the founding of our country in a different light than I agree with. So, I have to keep in my kids faces and find out exactly what they are being told so I can correct it.

Since Vanessa gets out early in the day, I get to mold her education more. We spend our time planning meals, cooking, cleaning, going on errands, and just be together. It also gives Vanessa extra time for practicing her violin. I can't wait until next year when Eric starts middle school and I can put him into the classes I want and have him home earlier in the day too.

On a fun note, Jared and I are going to the Utah State University Aggie football game tonight. A few of his friends from Malt O-Meal invited us to go with them and their wives. I am really looking forward to it.

2 comments:

kimi + joe said...

Glad you and Jared are enjoying a fun night together. I love football in the fall.

I've read so many articles on homeschooling and really admire your decision. Even though we're years away from crossing that bridge I'm definitely leaning more towards that path.

The most recent addition of LDS Living magazine had a great article on homeschooling - in case you haven't checked it out.

Joanna said...

Love the update. Sorry about Joseph's toe. Glad it wasn't anything worse than a fracture.

Hope you had a fun night at the game! How fun.