Friday, August 5, 2011

Saying I'm sorry can be hard, but not impossible

The other day Vanessa was over at a friends house. They were together for the better part of the afternoon. I had told Vanessa to come home at 5pm. She arrived home at 5pm along with her friend. She asked me if they could play until 5:30pm. I told her no. Thirty minutes goes by and I keep calling out for Vanessa to come help me get dinner on the table. There is no response. I go outside in the front and call out her name. No response. Ten more minutes goes by and I go out onto the fron porch to clean up a mud mess. I see Vanessa's friend walking out from behind where I had parked the van.

I call Vanessa over to me and tell her what she did broke my trust in her. She said sorry. I asked her if she had the 'ick' in her stomach. She said yes. I told her that I need her to follow my instructions in order for me to be able to trust her. She understands. I told her to call her friend and apologize to her for not making her go home at 5 and to tell her that she is sorry for not respecting my instructions. I also told her to tell her friend that she doesn't want her to think it is okay to treat her mother that way either. Her friend says, 'Okay, but I've gotta go.'

This friend has not made peace with me yet. She knew I told her to leave. She disrespected me too.

Instead of coming and apologizing to me, she has become sneaky.

I told Vanessa to tell her that if she wants to be friends with her, she needs to apologize to me.

We'll see what happens. I hope this girl apologizes and her sneakiness doesn't have to be brought to her own mothers attention.

These girls are 12 and 13 years old. I find it a priviledge to teach them the doctrine of repentance. I love teaching the children how to have successful, respectful relationships. I love seeing the look in my kids eyes when they understand what I teach them. It brings me great joy!

No comments: