Saturday, February 18, 2012

Redemption and Forgiveness

My father has long told me that I have no authority to call anyone to repentance. He says that only the Brethren can do that. I disagree and have always disagreed with him. It has never set well with me every time he has tried to get me to agree with him. Now I have to backing to why I always felt that way. I wish I could convince him.

Elder D. Todd Christofferson says in this latest General Conference:

Repentance is an expansive subject, but today I would like to mention just five aspects of this fundamental gospel principle that I hope will be helpful.

First, the invitation to repent is an expression of love. When the Savior “began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Matthew 4:17)it was a message of love, inviting all who would to qualify to join Him “and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life [itself] in the world to come” (Moses 6:59). If we do not invite others to change or if we do not demand repentance of ourselves, we fail in a fundamental duty we owe to one another and to ourselves. A permissive parent, an indulgent friend, a fearful Church leader are in reality more concerned about themselves than the welfare and happiness of those they could help. Yes, the call to repentance is at times regarded as intolerant or offensive and may even be resented, but guided by the Spirit, it is in reality an act of genuine caring (see D&C 121:43–44).



Friendship has eluded me with many of my extended family members for a season. It has been a source of great sorrow to me. Nevertheless, I rejoice in my own repentance and in the forgiveness I have received. I tell everyone who will listen to me of the redemption Christ has given me.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Sarah, I just love your blog! Keep it up, girl!