Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Proper Role

Ezra Taft Benson gives a talk called The Proper Role of Government. Here is an excerpt from that talk:


'I believe we Americans should use extreme care before lending our support to any proposed government program. We should fully recognize that government is no plaything. As George Washington warned, “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence – it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master!” (The Red Carpet, p.142) It is an instrument of force and unless our conscience is clear that we would not hesitate to put a man to death, put him in jail or forcibly deprive him of his property for failing to obey a given law, we should oppose it.'



Am I prepared to put someone in jail or have him be put to death for not getting health insurance? Obamacare? No way. Only recently have I learned of the true principles of freedom and the proper role of government. Now I want to warn everyone I know. Sadly, many seem too busy providing for their families, and some are just simply apethetic. My own children are being taught.

No comments: