Saturday, January 19, 2013

Honor And Respect

I love this:


“... What really matters is that he will love you,that he will respect you, that he will honor you, that he will be absolutely true to you, that he will give you the freedom of expression and let you fly in the development of your own talents. He is not going to be perfect, but if he is kind and thoughtful, if he knows how to work and earn a living, if he is honest and full of faith, the chances are you will not go wrong, that you will be immensely happy.” Gordon B. Hinckley





I want to add to this that if you don't have this type of man in your life, hope in not always lost.  With love and encouragement, the men in our lives can change.  They don't always choose to change, and I love what President Faust has said about that.

'What, then, might be “just cause” for breaking the covenants of marriage? Over a lifetime of dealing with human problems, I have struggled to understand what might be considered “just cause” for breaking of covenants. I confess I do not claim the wisdom or authority to definitively state what is “just cause.” Only the parties to the marriage can determine this. They must bear the responsibility for the train of consequences which inevitably follow if these covenants are not honored. In my opinion, “just cause” should be nothing less serious than a prolonged and apparently irredeemable relationship which is destructive of a person’s dignity as a human being.'  James E. Faust Ensign, May 1993

He then goes on to state this from the same talk:

'At the same time, I have strong feelings about what is not provocation for breaking the sacred covenants of marriage. Surely it is not simply “mental distress,” nor “personality differences,” nor having “grown apart,” nor having “fallen out of love.” This is especially so where there are children.
....
In my opinion, members of the Church have the most effective cure for our decaying family life. It is for men, women, and children to honor and respect the divine roles of both fathers and mothers in the home.  '



I would add to President Faust that if you are a mother or a father and you do not respect your divine role as such, that you can change and there is help for you if you truly want to change.  I know because I have found that help.

No comments: