Friday, November 13, 2009

Standing for Principle

Standing for Something, Gordon B. Hinckley:

"The problem with most of us is that we are afraid to stand up for what we believe, to be witnesses for what is true and right. We want to do the right thing, but we are troubled by fears. So, we sit back, and the world drifts about us and society increasingly adopts attitudes and standards of behavior that most of us do not approve of."

Pres. Hinckley later continues:

"In leadership, in standing for principle, there is loneliness. But men and women of integrity must live with their convictions. Unless they do so, they are miserable--dreadfully miserable. And though there may be thorns, though there may be disappointment, though there may be trouble and travail, heartache and heartbreak, and desperate loneliness, there will also be comfort and strength and that "peace of God, which passeth all understanding"(Philippians 4:7).



I love this book. It gives me peace in an otherwise frightful world! The prophets words are a light by which I live my life. I am so grateful for their words.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

Those are absolutely beautiful quotes. I loved in that video, I Know That My Redeemer Lives when President Hinckley starts it off with saying, "Our strength lies in our righteousness."

Fear is such a huge distraction that the adversary uses to prevent us from having that peace and comfort we all need so badly.

Botts said...

I love the part where President Hinckley says 'Our safety lies in the virtue of our lives.'

I just love that version of the hymn.

Shalean said...

Sarah your family is so beautiful! The new little guy just fits right in and is so stinkin cute! Thanks for your words and confidence in them. It brings greater strength to me!

Peterson Family said...

I love the words of the prophets too. I recorded all the sessions of last conference and have been re-listening to the talks! They are truly inspired men and we need to be in tune to what the spirit is teaching us through them.

I need to read this book you are quoting! Sounds wonderful. Love how you are always reading something good.

Also....LOVE the music!!!

Peterson Family said...

Heee heeee!!!! I just closed out of our itunes on my computer and our music went off. I thought it was music playing on your blog.

Ahh!! That was so funny. I was listening to our itunes but thought you had put music on your blog and I thought, "wow, Sarah has all my favorite songs on her blog!!"

Now I don't have any music playing and your blog is quiet!

Where is your music? (hee hee)

Botts said...

That is too funny Vic! hee hee

Jared is helping me choose what music to put on.