Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Soft Answer

Our bible lesson last night was Proverbs 15:1 which reads:

'A soft answer turneth away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger.'

I have been working really hard with my kids to soften the tones in our voices to each other. I have been working by example and words to teach them this. It is amazing to me that as soon as we've had the lesson, that the kids will immediately use grievous (definition: upset) words and tones in dealing with each other.

Daily I use reasoning with them to explain why their behavior is unacceptable. It is time consuming and exhausting, to say the least. But, what a joy it is when we have our little successes. The Spirit is in our home when we are striving to OVERCOME. I love that word, that's why I bolded it. I don't expect us to be perfect overnight, but I do expect us to sit down and reason together so that we don't continue on in hurtful relations.

5 comments:

Joanna said...

Beautiful. Talking nicely and in a soft/reverent tone will indeed bring the Spirit in the home. We have been working on this as well. Yelling or using a harsh/loud tone I have found to do no good and sends the spirit quickly out of the room.

Since I have been working on changing my tone for some time now, Abigail and Lilly have such a hard time hearing the slightest raised voice. It really hurts their feelings. The tone of our entire house has changed dramatically.

Good work Sarah. Great scripture.

I haven't had time to email you back. My mother in law came in town this morning and is helping me pack. She is wonderful and really it is great having her here. I admire her in all the service she preforms. She is such a great example to me of this.

Hope you're doing well!

Joanna said...

Sar,

One more thing, when you keep this up - reasoning with them that their behavior is not acceptable, it gets easier after some time. Don't give up or give in. Only use soft tones and words.

Sorry if I've spoken too much. I don't want to offend you either.

Love you!

Botts said...

Jo, I can't give in. It is the way. These little ones need to know why. They are always asking me 'why' and I owe it to them to tell them.

Joanna said...

It is a lot of work telling explaining to them over and over. It's nice knowing we are all doing the teaching this same thing to our children.

Cute desig - it does make it more fun to read. Your blog looks great!

Botts said...

violin;