Saturday, December 26, 2009

Why did I not notice...

From the teachings of Spencer W. Kimball we read:

"Ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not.” (Morm. 8:39.)(I added the italics)

As the Lord himself said in our day, “They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own God, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall.” (D&C 1:16; italics added.)

The Lord has said, “… seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” (Matt. 6:33.) Too often, though, we want the “things” first.11

President Kimball continues: Quote 'Perhaps the sin is not in “things” but in our attitude toward and worship of “things.” Unless an acquisitive person can positively accumulate and hold wealth while still giving full allegiance to God and his program—unless the rich man can keep the Sabbath, keep his mind and body and spirit uncontaminated, and give unstinted service to his fellowmen through God’s appointed way—unless the affluent man has total control and can hold all his possessions in trust, subject to the call of the Lord through his authorized servants, then that man, for the good of his soul, should certainly “go and sell that thou hast and give to the poor, … and come and follow me.”' (Matthew 19:21.) Unquote.



You know, perhaps the reason why I am writing this message is because of the commercialization of Christmas. Perhaps it is because I have recognized my own 'walking in my own way' and not noticed the hungry, needy, naked, sick, and the afflicted. Might it be because I want to keep it in my remembrance whom I worship?

Either which way, I have been careful, especially as of late, to make sure my heart is in the right place, which is with God. Sometimes it is so easy to forget that we are owned by Christ. We have been bought with a price, and a great and terrible price at that. We take Christ's name upon us when we are baptized and I know for me, I have taken that fact way too lightly, and therefore worshipped that which I ought not have. It has been a very special season of reflection and desire to make some changes in my life.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

It's so foreign to us to give of our substance and serve the poor and needy....I think this is Christ's greatest attribute.

What a beautiful circle of children! Their smiling faces are glowing with happiness. That means you are doing a great job at showing them they are loved - and their confidence is waxing strong.

What a beautiful baby boy. I hope all is well in with your family Sar. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly enjoyed reading this glad message. ;) (Our FHE story tonight was from the Dec. Friend article 'The Pink Dresser.' A great story.)