Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tolerance for what?

In an Ensign article Jan 2001, President Hinckley wrote suggestions to mothers to teach their children. Here is one that caught my attention:

'Teach them to seek for good friends. They are going to have friends, good or bad. Those friends will make a vast difference in their lives. It is important that they cultivate an attitude of tolerance toward all people, but it is more important that they gather around them those of their own kind who will bring out the best they have within them. Otherwise they may be infected with the ways of their associates.'


In my most sober moments, I recognize the absolute importance of this truth. I am teaching my children how critical it is to have tolerance for others' beliefs. Article of Faith #11 We claim the aprivilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own cconscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.


However, I am also encouraging and helping them to find friends who have their same standards. I love this quote for the fact that it puts the emphasis on what is more important. We have tolerance for others' beliefs that we don't espouse. But, we do not tolerate evil in any form. We seek to overcome and stop evil and preach what God has told us is evil and the consequences of what happens if we don't overcome it.

I am grateful for good people everywhere... Especially at this time of year.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I love the new blog look! It's so pretty. And the quote 'A snowflake is a winter butterfly' that is so true. Oh, I really miss watching out the window the snowflakes falling down. Please enjoy for me.

Great talk from Pres. Hinckley. Isn't it great to have so many resources to go to to be led in the right direction. It's too bad when you don't search for yourself and learn all you can from all that has been taught - past and present.