Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tonsils Out

Vanessa and Joseph got their tonsils out today.  What a deal!  I can't believe how well they are both doing.  Two of my friends in my ward brought dinner to us tonight.  It was so yummy!  They brought clam chowder, rolls, brownies, and fresh cut veggies.  It was wonderful!  Vanessa ate 4 small bowls, and Joseph ate 3 small bowls.  It was shocking to me.  When I got my tonsils out when I was about 10 years old, I wouldn't eat a thing.  I got so sick because I wouldn't eat or drink.  I'm not sure where my parents were during my recovery because no one was watching to make sure I was eating and drinking.  I remember asking Deborah, my sister, who had gotten her tonsils out that exact same day as me, to get me a popsicle.  She was 8 years old at the time and she was doing much better than me.  I remember being sick for days and days.  Anyway, my kids are doing really well.

I also went to a neurologist to have him tell me what he thinks of my MRI.  My discs from L3 down to S1 are all bulging and torn.  The disc space between L5-S1 is especially degenerated and the doctor believes that that is where my nerves are getting impinged and causing all of my right leg weakness and right foot pain.  My doctor recommended surgery and fusing that spot in my spine so that my nerves won't be so smashed.  The insurance company requires a paper trail of physical therapy and cortisone shots before they'll approve paying for a fusion surgery.  It is a $40,000 surgery.  I don't want to go that route.  I will be doing the shots, but really, really hoping to avoid the fusion.


No comments: