Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Conversation with Joseph


Today I feel so grateful for the opportunity to show my repentance to God and the world. I choose not to dwell on others problems and embrace the right we each have been given by God to work out our own problems. I choose not to spend time or energy trying to solve others' problems for them.

Instead, I find myself cleaning my kitchen, advising my children in the way of truth and light, and executing tonight's family meal.

Conversation #1 * * *

Sarah says: "Joseph, it is time to get to our studies."

Joseph replies in anger: "Mom, I am so sick of you always telling me what to do!"

Sarah replies with authority: "Joseph, God told us in the scriptures to honor our parents. When you are a dad you will tell your children what to do. That is the way God made it, not me."

Joseph pretends not to hear me and says: "It's like I am your slave."

Vanessa intervenes after being on the scene: "Joseph, it's true, God said it in the Bible. Mom is in charge. God made it that way."

Joseph gets even angrier, says a few more choice words, and goes to his room and slams the door behind him. I let him without saying anything more. Five minutes goes by. The door opens and Joseph appears with a solemn look in his eyes to say, "Mom, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things to you. I'll do what you say."

I then say, "I love you Joseph. You are such a good boy."

Joseph worked it out on his own. Joseph is 7 years old, and turns 8 this July 31st.

2 comments:

kimi + joe said...

That's wonderful, Sarah. I would love to learn more about your homeschooling methods when you have time to post. I know you're super busy so that may not be feasible...

Joanna said...

What a sweet lookin' kid - that picture of him is very cute.

Sounds like you are doing such a great job with routine and teaching obedience. Two very key elements in becoming a successful mother. - I need to get on board again!