Thursday, May 13, 2010

Routine is key

The healing from co-dependency is continuing and progressive.

I am recognizing more each day how much wasted energy I put into thinking about other peoples' problems. I recognize I can do nothing to change their circumstances. I recognize I can change my own life. I am accepting this with gratefulness.

I am getting better and better everyday at getting to my routine. It takes so much energy to break from the old habit of waking up and instantly worrying about others' problems. Something that most likely comes with great ease to 'normal' people is incredibly difficult for me.

This process is called 'detachment.' The definition given by Al-Anon is: Detachment is releasing, or detaching from, a person or problem in love. We mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically disengage ourselves from unhealthy (and frequently painful) entanglements with another person's life and responsibilities, and from problems we cannot solve.

Detachment is based on the premises that each person is responsible for himself, and that we cannot solve their problems, and that worrying doesn't help.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

The progress IS moving upward. You, your family, church, and calling are definitely enough to keep you very busy.

Good work with battling sticking to a routine. A house of order is such a great goal to have.

I admire your openness and honesty. I continue to envison the Sarah in the picture in my dream.

Hope you're having a great day!